Kirkgate demolition in full swing
20 January 2023
Demolition work is well underway to clear a number of buildings from Kirkgate to make way for a contemporary residential development on the doorstep of Wakefield city centre.
Nearly 100 high-quality housing units are expected to be constructed just a few steps away from the buzz of city centre activity.
The Council will remove several buildings on the proposed site before putting the vacant land on the market for housing development.
The first building being demolished is the former ABC Cinema at the corner of Sun Lane and Kirkgate. Demolition works are expected to be completed by March, after which the site will be converted into a temporary green space.
The purchase of other buildings will continue in 2023, with their demolition beginning in early 2024. The Harewood Arms pub and the buildings on either side of the Grade II-listed building will remain.
The Council anticipates the land will be sold by the summer of 2024, with construction of new houses starting in the autumn of 2024.
This is one of several projects that will jointly transform the city centre into a thriving and culturally vibrant city by making it adaptable to changing consumer demand and achieving new growth in residential, retail, culture and entertainment sectors.
For further information on the changing face and business opportunities in Wakefield city, visit our city regeneration web page or subscribe to our Wakefield City Regeneration Newsletter to get updates straight to your inbox.
Planned projects include:
- High-quality offices and a hotel on the site of the Old Westgate Railway Station.
- Relocation of the Wakefield Library and Museum into the heart of the city centre.
- Shop improvement grants for businesses on Bread Street.
- Flexible multi-use outdoors entertainment area in Cathedral Square.
- Extended food and beverage corridor from Cross Square into Wood Street.
- New homes and community spaces in Wakefield’s Civic Quarter by Rushbond.
- Tileyard North - the largest creative industries hub outside of London by CPP.