BUSINESS SUPPORT OPTIONS
LEEDS CITY REGION ENTERPRISE PROGRAMMES
Mindir Paul: email@example.com
Business Growth Fund (LEP Capital Grant)
Grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 are available to support businesses in West Yorkshire, looking to grow and create new jobs.
Please contact the Business Growth Managers if interested who can help you complete the application.
- The grant is limited to a maximum of 20% of capital costs, subject to a minimum grant of £10,000 and maximum of £50,000.
- Eligibility is restricted to businesses with 100 employees or less.
- All projects must be completed and grant claimed by 31 December 2022.
- The Programme will remain open for applications until 30 September 2022 or until the budget is fully committed, whichever comes sooner.
Am I eligible?
Your business must:
- Be based, or looking to locate, in West Yorkshire? (Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds or Wakefield)
- Have been established for at least 12 months and must operate from commercial premises
- Operate in key growth sectors and/or their direct supply chains: specifically health and life sciences, digital and creative industries, low carbon and environmental industries, manufacturing, financial and professional services or business to business services
- Generate the majority of its turnover from trading with other businesses, or, your application must demonstrate how the grant-supported project will lead to this. Businesses engaged in retailing or providing localised business to consumer services are not eligible for grant support
- Have private finance available: either your own, from a bank, or other commercial finance to invest alongside the grant (please note: the minimum total project cost is £50,000 - therefore you must have at least £4 of private sector finance to invest for every £1 in grant)
- Demonstrate financial viability of the project and the need for grant support.
Your project must:
- Consist of capital investment in equipment and/or, fit-out and refurbishment of buildings. (Please note: refurbishment or renovation projects will only be supported where you will be the sole occupier within the refurbished or renovated business property)
- Create at least one new job for every £7,500 - £12,500 of grant received, with the higher level of grant only available for jobs paying above the Real Living Wage.
In accordance with State Aid rules, you can apply for a maximum grant of between 10% and 20% of your project costs, depending on the size of your business (10% for businesses with between 50 and 100 employees).
If you have 20 employees and a total project cost of £250,000 the maximum that you can apply for is £50,000
If you have 80 employees and a total project cost of £250,000 the maximum that you can apply for is £25,000.
The maximum number of applications that can be approved for a single business is capped at three in a three year period. If you have already had three projects approved, you will not be able to apply for further support until the three years has lapsed.
The maximum grant that can be approved for a single business over a three year period is £250,000. This could be in one single grant award, or two or three smaller grants which total £250,000. If you have already had £250,000 in grant support you will not be able to apply for further support until the three years has lapsed.
If you are unsure about whether this affects you, please contact the LEP Business Support Service who will be able to advise you.
As part of the LEP’s commitment to delivering inclusive growth that benefits everyone, we have introduced new measures to encourage businesses to maximise their positive impact on the region.
If you receive a grant of £25,000 or over, you will be expected to make additional inclusive growth commitments. There are lots of different ways businesses can get on board, from volunteering in a local school to becoming a real Living Wage employer.
Additionally, businesses receiving a grant of less than £25,000 are encouraged to volunteer to undertake an inclusive growth commitment.
The LEP and its network of partners can help you to access several products and services that will help businesses to take these positive actions. Initial guidance and advice on these commitments are available here.
- Support for SMEs to develop new products or processes.
- Connecting SMEs with the relevant research organisations, such as universities and Catapult Centres.
- Revenue grants to support the cost of accessing R&D expertise and facilities. Grants between £5k-£100k.
Resource Efficiency Fund
- Provides support and advice for SMEs on how to save money through more efficient use of energy, water and waste.
- Eligible businesses receive a free resource efficiency assessment.
- Grants of up to £10k with a 50% intervention rate. (*25% on lighting projects*).
Apprenticeship Grant (AGE)
- Grants available to SMEs offering apprenticeships to 19-24yr olds, who have never offered apprenticeships before.
- Core Grant - £2000, with potential of a £500 top-up.
Ad-Venture Local Contact – Kate Gledhill & Keith Evans
- High-growth programme for pre-starts, start-ups and early stage businesses (up to 3 yrs old).
- Intensive support including mentoring, workshops, peer-to-peer learning and grants.
- Grants up to £25k available dependent on stage of business. Intervention rate up to 50%.
Digital Enterprise Programme
Supports SMEs investing in digital technology;
- Digital Growth Voucher – up to £10000 available to assist with projects which look to digitally transform your business.(from Autumn 2019)
- Connectivity Voucher - worth between £500 and £1,000 to help eligible businesses to cover the cost of upgrading to faster broadband (over 30mbps).
- Digital Knowledge Exchange - a programme of workshops, masterclasses, mentoring support and digital audits to help businesses improve their understanding of digital technology and the solutions available to help them to develop their business.
Exporting for Growth
- Package of support from the Department for International Trade on how to start or increase exporting.
- Grants of £2k-£5k are available (50% intervention rate) for businesses on the programme.
Manufacturing Growth Programme
- Package of support tailored to SME-manufacturers
- Grants of £1k-£1.5k (30% intervention) to access industry experts and deliver improvement projects (e.g. lean manufacturing).
- Help to develop the skills and expertise of staff through a bespoke training plan.
- Advisors on hand to identify the right training solutions.
- Funding up to 40% of training costs available.
Product and Process Innovation (PAPI)
Grants available for SMEs in eligible sectors looking to invest in machinery which will allow them to grow through innovation (ie bringing a new product to market).
- Minimum project cost of £20k.
- 40% intervention rate, maximum grant of £20k
- Projects must create at least 1 FTE job.
Supply Chain Programme (Delivered by The University of Huddersfield)
- Support for SMEs to develop new Supply Chain Strategies.
- Connecting SMEs and LEs to develop new opportunities.
- Reduce Supply Chain risk and look at new market opportunities.
- Help SMEs evaluate and integrate new technology systems, optimising process and people performance.
- Help the development of Supply Chains in larger businesses through securing local SME provision, improving performance of current suppliers and finding local alternative local suppliers.
- The potential to introduce 3rd party specialists to support the implementation of key actions.
- Grants of up to £5k with an intervention rate of 50%
Gigabit Voucher Scheme
Vouchers available up to £2500 to assist SMEs with the installation costs of gigabit-capable connection.
Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)
3 types of funding streams for ‘in-scope’ businesses;
- Skills and Trading Fund - Up to £10k skills and training funding for small employers.
- Flexible Fund - For a project you have identified that meets CITB priorities and addresses industry needs.
- Structured Fund - For projects where CITB has identified a need for investment.
*more information at www.citb.co.uk/funding/types-of-funding/
Travel Plan Network
- Supports businesses of all sizes to adopt more sustainable and cost effective travel.
- Discounted travel for staff and business journeys, including the corporate M-Card to reduce public transport costs.
- Specific advice on travel-planning for firms moving within –or to- the region
Gareth Morley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthony Baker: email@example.com
(NEW for 2019) Employment Hub
New programme, aimed at 16-24 year olds, to support unemployed, young people into employment, training, apprenticeships. The project team includes dedicated careers advisers and employer engagement officers to support the candidate and employer through the process to secure sustained employment.
Further information at www.futuregoals.co.uk
- Apprenticeship Support for SMEs and Levy Payers.
- Signposting to suitable training organisations.
- 90 % funding of training costs available to qualifying businesses ( 100 % for 16 -18 year olds) (*SMEs).
- £ 1000 Grant for recruitment of a 16-18 year old (*SMEs).
- Digital Account Service advice (*Levy Payers).
The Enterprise Adviser Network
Connects senior leaders in business to senior leaders in schools, to influence and develop the school's career and enterprise strategy, giving students regular and relevant access to employers. The programme can form part of the business' corporate social responsibility (CSR) commitment. Contact Danielle Hutchings (Danielle.Hutchings@westyorks-ca.gov.uk)
Encourages children to look to the future, be aspirational and think about the career path they might take after leaving secondary school. Helping to see links between what they are learning in their lessons and their future careers and occupations. Signup to being a volunteer to help inspire young people to think about what is possible in their futures – go to https://www.inspiringthefuture.org/