AD:VENTURE START UP LEADERSHIP - HOW TO SWIM, NOT SINK!
11 November 2022 — 9:30am to 11:30am
Venue: Online Event
This interactive workshop will help identify the importance of investing in your own leadership skills, to help build supportive team network...
Did you know that 41% of high growth firms find deficiencies in leadership competencies to be an obstacle to growth? As a Founder of a small business, it can be a real challenge to cover all bases and get everything done, especially as the business grows and the demands on your time never seem to end. Building a capable, challenging and supportive team is the key to sustainable business success and investing in your own leadership skills is crucial to that.
Run by experienced workshop facilitator and Co-Founder of his own business in Leeds, Andy Jenkins MCIPD will share practical leadership tools, tips and good practice including:
- How to manage your time and energy to avoid becoming over-stretched
- Explore the evidence about what successful leaders do using case study examples
- Working out what leadership skills are most important for you and your business
- Assess yourself against them to identify your own leadership strengths & weaknesses using an online survey and/or development card sort
- Discuss challenges & ideas to build an action plan that you can put into practice
- Understand the risks & downsides of not understanding own leadership skills and impact on others
- Dispel common misconceptions about leadership and understand that there is no ‘one best way’ for leadership success
- Draw up a shortlist of key capabilities required for success
- Understand what energises me and what drains me
- Build an individual action plan to optimise strengths and address critical weaknesses
As a new business that's started to employ staff, the “Start up Leadership How to Swim not Sink"" helped me to identify a number of key areas and gave actionable tips for improving the business and my own leadership qualities. As well as the course material, it was great to speak to a number of similar businesses and realise that I'm not alone in the constant struggle to push the business forward."" - Sam Raife
""I really enjoyed the session, particularly the format as it was interactive but still had a good level of informative content. The session was structured well and delivered in a really engaging and effective way. It has raised my awareness on things I need to consider and think about when it comes to leadership, and how these are critical to a success of a business. "" - Naudia Salmon
Here is a bit about Andy and why he enjoys delivering AD:VENTURE workshops!
Andy has studied at Ashridge Business School, completing the highly regarded Designing Operating Models program, and participated in the Lean StartUp bootcamp run by Brant Cooper, author of The Lean Entrepreneur. He has recently developed and launched his own cloud based digital assessment tool which is used by clients in multiple industries. His My Leadership Strengths business was recognised as Digital Enterprise Top 100 in 2022. Andy has a Certificate in Coaching accredited through the University of Middlesex, is a Chartered Member of the CIPD and he also holds multiple psychometric accreditations including Saville Wave, Hogan, FIRO B and Strengths Profile.
Andy is at his best working with businesses navigating unfamiliar challenges and managing growth – which is pretty much what all SME’s have to deal with. The best thing about working with founders is the opportunity to make big decisions and see the results happen quickly – much more dynamic than most large organisations.
The AD:VENTURE workshop is so much fun to run because participants from any sector end up learning some things from each other, often the leadership challenges are the similar, and we tend to adjust the session to work on real issues.
Fun facts – I’ve seen Darth Vader’s actual personality profile (the original actor David Prowse), and have run leadership workshops behind bars in several prisons (but they let me out in the end).